Quilt: the story of me!

On my resent visit to South Africa my mother handed me the most beautiful quilt. She made it herself and it is the story of me! Each square is hand embroidered with a floral pattern and i can see were i get my love for floral motifs, textile patterns and all things organic. Then the borders of the square are filled with symbols of my childhood......from my heritage flowers (English rose, French Fleur De Lis and Scottish thistle), to plants and insects i grew up with, as well as past drawings that i had drawn for my mom in school and designs i did for my first business i had with her. There were symbols of pets i had, doodles i had done and symbols of an esoteric upbringing. Each one meant something, each one was a part of me and it was reading my autobiography. I can't begin to tell you how moved i was to see all this. My life in a quilt made by mom. I was on tears, after not seeing her for so long and now seeing this beautiful creation.

These photo's don't do justice and so as i get time i will post her beautiful work for the world to see. I'm so proud of her!







I can see why i have become the artist i am and why i always find myself drawn to certain things!





Thanks Mom


Comments