flowering grasses, illustration.

I recently started doing some water colour illustrations to help me design for my new”flowering grasses” range. I intended to expand on an old theme of grass rings but found as I started to look around I was distracted and drawn to the weeds, lawn flowers and wild grasses. Their variety of leaves and flowers seem to create a patch work in my lawn .I noticed the variety on my walks and found myself actively searching for more.  So it was time to document my findings, through photographs and drawings, focusing on individual grasses. The more I began to notice the more I saw but to help my visual design mind to sort out what in all this richness to create I needed to paint.

Mixed grass
watercolour and pen
2011

Mixed grass (close up)
watercolour and pen
2011

Mixed grass (close up)
watercolour and pen
2011
  Now instead of limiting myself to one type of grass I’m using their differences to explore a range called “flowering grasses” It Sure to keep me busy.

The next blog will be the works in progress which you will start to see the connection with this illustration. I loved doing this painting so I’m sure there will be more.


Comments